I wanted to share a really fast and easy recipe that I fell in love with. Yes it’s Italian, and it’s delicious….but it’s also pretty healthy! I know that’s a hard combination to find sometimes, so I thought it was post-worthy.
This recipe has plenty of vegetarian protein and tons of fiber, but it’s also low in fat and sugar and those pesky calories.
If you try it, let me know what you think!
Also, I meant to share this before, but since I haven’t made a separate post for it just yet, I now have a Facebook page! So please follow and like me over there if you’re interested! There will be more frequent updates, shares and questions or comments are welcome! I’d love to see you there.
P.S. (Sorry about the cr**py pictures, I was in a hurry and used my phone. Big no-no, I realize this!)
Vegan Italian Pesto Stuffed Shells
- 1 cup dry green split peas
- 2¼ cups water, divided
- ¼ cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced (to taste)
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 12 ounces brown rice jumbo pasta shells
- 1 jar organic marinara sauce or organic ‘Full Circle Roasted Garlic Spaghetti Sauce’
- Daiya shredded mozzarella vegan cheese (OR fresh, shredded Parmesan cheese, if not vegan)
- Combine the split peas and 2 cups of the water in a small saucepan over high heat, and bring them to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and cover to let the peas simmer until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Drain and rinse the cooked peas and transfer them to the bowl of a food processor.
- Use the same pot to cook your jumbo shells according to the directions on the package. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and cover the bottom of a 9″x 13″ glass baking dish with some of the sauce. Set it aside.
- For the pesto, add the remaining ¼ cup of water, fresh basil, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic, and the salt to the food processor, and process it together with the cooked split peas. Taste the mixture and add more lemon, garlic or salt if desired.
- Once the shells are tender, drain them and fill each shell with a large spoonful of the pesto. Arrange the stuffed shells into a single layer in the prepared baking dish and spoon additional marinara sauce over the top of each shell. Bake until everything is heated through, about 25 to 30 minutes, then add a helping of the shredded cheese (optional) to each shell and put it back in the oven for about 3 mins, just enough to melt it.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh basil!
*Pro tip: If you have a Spiralizer , you can serve the shells on a bed of zucchini noodles with seasoning for added veggies and a great presentation!